Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Chipzz wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:08:40 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Chipzz <chipzz ULYSSIS Org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts
>
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Alan Horkan wrote:
>
> > There is no practical reason for a spash screen.  Exactly none.
> >
> > If the desktop or application starts fast enough a splash screen is
> > unnecessary.  For some applications the splash screen provides a useful
>
> Maybe YOUR box is fast enough to start gnome with no significant delay,

No my box certainly is not fast enough, frankly my hardware is out of
date crap and if I really cared about speed over convenience I might be
using Blackbox/Fluxbox.

> but a lot of older boxes are NOT (30 sec startup time is significant).
> The excuse that "hardware nowadays is fast enough" is no excuse for not
> keeping in mind older hardware.
>
> So I'ld say you're just plain wrong in your assertion.

I was asserting anything.  Some sort of feedback would definately be
required but providing it in the form of a branded splash screen is just
an unnecessary advertisement and a different question entirely.

It would be great if startup could be made a lot faster, it irks me that
while GDM is waiting for me to login that nothing is happening in the
background.
The dead time during login is a massive bottleneck during the whole
startup process and I'd love it if GDM could somehow preload some or
all of Gnome while it is waiting for input.

- Alan