Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Alan Horkan wrote:

> There is no practical reason for a spash screen.  Exactly none.
>
> If the desktop or application starts fast enough a splash screen is
> unnecessary.  For some applications the splash screen provides a useful

Maybe YOUR box is fast enough to start gnome with no significant delay,
but a lot of older boxes are NOT (30 sec startup time is significant).
The excuse that "hardware nowadays is fast enough" is no excuse for not
keeping in mind older hardware.

So I'ld say you're just plain wrong in your assertion.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."