Re: Not OK computer:/// [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 13:29 -0700, Gabriel Bauman wrote:
> > > For special locations, how about something like:
> > >
> > > gnome:storage instead of computer:///
> > > gnome:applications instead of applications:///
> > > gnome:trash instead of trash:///
> >
> > If you replace that with:
> >
> >  desktop:storage
> >  desktop:applications
> >  desktop:trash
> >
> > and so on, instead of something GNOME-specific you're half-way there for
> > another Free Desktop standard proposal :)
>
> Good idea! Does anyone see any problems with this? I don't even know if
> this is technically workable on the nautilus/gnome-vfs sides of things.
>
> If no one objects, I will try to find time to make some constructive
> enquiries. A common addressing scheme for these types of shell locations
> between free desktops would be great.

Yes i have some objections.

a) It'll require large changes to the gnome-vfs internals for little
reason.
b) The proposed items don't even look like uris that gnome-vfs can use.
Is that second part the hostname? Why is making up hostnames that are
not hostnames any better than making up uri methods? At least the gnome-
vfs uris work like rfc uris, even if some are not rfc defined.
c) We're trying to avoid exposing uris to users anyway, so this
shouldn't matter to users. And in the cases they are visible, we should
work to fix that. (But if you do know the uri schemes, surely its a lot
harder to remember/type these new versions.)
d) The fact that we have the "Computer" location in gnome and the exact
behaviour of it is very much a design decision about how gnome wants its
desktop to look and work. You'll have a pretty hard time to standardize
that and make other people use it (you'd turn them into Gnome). And when
you've done that you've basically frozen that part of Gnome from further
development forever as we can't change it. Same with "applications://",
we'll hopefully be trying to get rid of that in 2.10.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a maverick day-dreaming waffle chef who knows the secret of the alien
invasion. She's a violent mute politician from beyond the grave. They fight
crime!