Re: Remove unused icons in gnome-desktop

Il lun, 2004-10-04 alle 18:21, Mark McLoughlin ha scritto:
> Hi Luca,
> 	I'd like to see this cleaned up too, but its quite likely we'll break a
> few things in the process. That's what stopped me when I tried to do
> this before.

Don't fear! GNOME 2.10 is scheduled for March, so removing them now we
have the time to check if we break something.

> On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 17:49, Luca Ferretti wrote:
>
> > Four icons are used by gnome-applets/gnome-panel, but those apps should
> > use available icons in gnome-icon-theme. Those icons are
> >       * gnome-mailcheck (by mail check applet) -> should use
> >         "stock_inbox.png" or "stock_mail*.png"
> >       * gnome-modem (by modemlights applet) -> should use modem.png
> >       * gnome-money (by stock ticker applet) -> should use
> >         stock-ticker.png
>
> 	These should be fine to move to gnome-applets.

Why move them? IMHO the Good Way is put all generic icons in
gnome-icon-theme and retrieve them from here.

Note that those icons/pixmaps are in g-i-t 2.9.0 so I'm working on a
patch for gnome-applets to:
     1. add dependence on g-i-t >= 2.9.0
     2. add dependence on gtk+ >= 2.5.0
     3. edit the .desktop file of applet and change the value of Icon
        entry
     4. edit the .server file of applet and change the value of
        "panel:icon" oaf_attribute
     5. edit the code to use the new gtk_window_set_default_icon_name ()
     6. edit the code to use the new GtkAboutWindow widget with the
        named icon as logo.

So the applet is fully themeable. Well honestly the logo in
GtkAboutWindow is not updated if you keep the about window open and
change the icon theme. You have to close the the about window and reopen
it, but probably I just need to connect the icontheme:changed signal to
the widget representing the about window.

> >       * laucher-program.png (used by panel to add a launcher) -> mmhhh
> >         no valid icon in g-i-t. Just stock_init.png with a starting
> >         space shuttle.... or maybe gnome-fs-executable
>
> 	And this should be fine moved to gnome-panel.

Same as above. Generic icons should be in g.i-t.

BTW gnome-panel needs some icon theme love too. Just an example: in
g-i-t there are well named icons at 24x24 pixel for entries in Actions
menu. But pixmap used in menu are picked up at 48x48 and scaled down to
24x24. I'm working on a simple test case before file it as a bug.

Of course I'll prepare a similar patch for applets in gnome-panel.

> > So his is redux list of useful icons, IMHO. The (?) means that maybe we
> > can remove it too.
> >
> >         gnome-background-image.png
> >         (?) gnome-background-pattern.png
> >         gnome-debian.png
> >         gnome-emacs.png
> >         (?)gnome-gimp.png
> >         gnome-gmush.png
> >         (?)gnome-gnomoku.png
> >         gnome-logo-icon.png
> >         gnome-logo-icon-transparent.png
> >         gnome-logo-large.png
> >         gnome-squeak.png
> >         gnome-suse.png
> >         (?) gnome-tigert.png
> >         launcher-program.png
>
> 	How did you come up with the list?

4 criteria:
     A. icon is used somewere in GNOME Desktop
     B. a copy of the icon is yet in g-i-t
     C. icon follows guidelines
     D. icon can be useful

A lot of icons (all?) don't respect C, so it's not so relevant.

If A and B are true, then first prepare the patch, then remove it.
If A is true and B is false then remove it.

Icons in the list should respect D

> Why is gnome-debian, gnome-emacs and

gnome-debian, gnome-suse and gnome-emacs (maybe we can rename them as
gnome-GNU) are logos, as gnome-logo* and gnome-background-image. Maybe,
I repeat, maybe, they can be useful.

I agree with Ross: we can't include them in g-i-t, at least by now.

> gnome-gmush useful, for example?

I love it :-)

Of course by now we have to keep icons in the last list and icons used
by gnome-applets. When the patch to gnome applets will be ready and
applied we'll remove gnome-mailcheck gnome-modem and gnome-money too.