Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 11:33, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> In most cases I've seen, people tend to organize stuff relevant to
> their $HOME, not their "Desktop".  We already have option of hiding
> certain files (both using Unix way, or Nautilus way), what would
> render them unavailable for most users.  Why replicate all the
> functionality in Desktop, when we already have $HOME?

Glancing through my $HOME folder I see a whole lot of directories
created by applications that break the common rules of prepending ".".

Among the folders that I have never created manually are "C" (wine),
"ccl" (freecraft), "dcc" (xchat, maybe), "music" (no idea), "evolution"
(this should be solved with evo-2.0).
Plus, there are many more "visible" files created by applications.

Also, the home folder is sometimes used to install user-specific
applications. Of course, you could collect them into a subfolder /bin,
but would you want that visible on the desktop? Well, I guess you
wouldn't.

It would be nice to make $HOME the document root if there were a clean
way, but as long as applications don't do it right, this would be pretty
annoying.

-Samuel
|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |