Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

Marc O'Morain wrote:
The original proposal suggested creating the folderset in $HOME:
$HOME/Documents
$HOME/Downloads
$HOME/Photos
$HOME/Music
$HOME/Video

All of this sounds good to me. However, I'm not sure there is really a need for a "Downloads" directory. Most downloads would be of a type that should end up in Documents, Photos, Music, or Video.

I realize the advantage would be to have a default place for applications to put downloads - but as the default download destination is usually temporary, wouldn't it be better to put downloads right on the desktop where they are more visible?

Steven Garrity