Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

The home directory is the root of all things associated with the user.
 This includes stuff like configuration files and application data.
This stuff shouldn't really be accessed directly by the user.  The
desktop folder is a folder that the user is free to play around with
and customise.  The user can feel more ownership of the desktop folder
and it is in turn more familiar to them.  So it makes sense if you are
going to have these default folders like Photos, Music or Video that
they be placed on the desktop folder and not put in the mix with
folders that the user does not necessary understand or should access.