Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:50:31 +0100
> From: Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk>
> To: Tristan Buckmaster <tristan buckmaster gmail com>
> Cc: Desktop Developers <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths
>
> On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 23:39 +1000, Tristan Buckmaster wrote:
> > > The Mime types are hierarchical EG "Audio" which contains subtypes for
> > > individual audio types so in that case you could specify all Audio files
> > > to have a default location of $Home/Desktop/Music.
> >
> > Yes but they don't go far enough to classify something as music or a
> > photo, etc...

I'm not sure a system tied in directly to MIME types is necessary at
first.  The major MIME types  text, image, video, audio, binary provide a
good starting point and should certainly guide the default folders but
I dont want to stictly tie into them at least not yet.

Perhaps later those who want a more structured save and automatic
categorisation based on MIME type (as easy to use as it is to receive an
incoming email and have it filtered automatically) will happen but I think
it is essential to keep it simple at first.

If it works and the implementation is cautious complexity can be added
later.

- Alan