Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

<quote who="Mike Hearn">

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:31:30 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > This is passing the buck a bit but I'd like to hear from some of the
> > teams that would be using this - Helix, GStreamer, Rhythmbox, Sound
> > Juicer, whoever.
>
> A slightly lame question from me, but is there general consensus amongst
> multimedia developers (I'm not one) that the desktop-level sound server is
> architecturally the right way to go?

One of the best arguments I've heard for having a user-daemon sound server
is that it'll be far more receptive to dynamic reconfiguration via D-BUS or
similar tools, and doesn't have to run as root. polypaudio is pretty cool in
this regard, because it has support for a number of different hardware and
network interfaces.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

       "Microsoft treats security vulnerabilities as public relations
                        problems." - Bruce Schneier