Re: Proposing module: PyGTK

Hey,

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:43, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > The main point of proposing PyGTK to be included in the developer platform
> > > (or perhaps the desktop if people find it more acceptable) is simply to
> > > allow people to chose another language to develop applications than C and
> > > make it "officially" supported by the community.
> >
> > So, I personally don't think it makes sense to add PyGTK to the Desktop or
> > Platform suites until there's something that requires it. I guess the
> > rationale is that, if it's there, people will feel as if they have the go
> > ahead to write stuff in Python. Right?
>
> I think this is exactly what some people are asking for, hence why it
> makes sense to do so before something requires it.
>
> I think the following are the key points involved:
>
> - pretty much everyone agrees that we want to "bless" at least one thing
> beyond C to be officially acceptable as a language to code gnome
> platform stuff in

	Here's where I think the confusion is - is the purpose to "bless" the
language in order to indicate that it can be used in modules that are
part of the Desktop release set? Or is the purpose to give the binding a
"drown in holy water type blessing"[1] for developers outside the
Desktop release set? Or both?

	If its the former, then I think its fine to say that Desktop release
set developers can use the python binding from the bindings release set.
If its the later, then it makes sense to have the binding in the
Developer Platform release set.

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] - As in, its already blessed for outside developers because its part
of the bindings release set.