Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 12:06 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
GNOME has a buttload of difficult to understand daemons. If one fails, or
can't start, it is hard for an administrator to know what's going wrong or
what it will affect.

it would be probably a good idea to have gnome-session be pluggable, so
that 3rd parties can write extensions for it for extra daemon-like
processes to be started. Thus, gnome-session would just have to load
those extensions and call a known entry point on them.

That, or the number of daemons will continue growing :)

I'd just like to chip in and say that I've been wondering about this myself. I'm the maintainer for seahorse which installs an 'agent' daemon process.

Currently it seems (could be wrong here) there's no way to have a daemon start and install environment variables in the users session. I think DBUS does this somehow, but having some sort of plugins into gnome-session would make this possible apps that don't come with the distro. It would also make supporting multiple sessions for the same user much easier.

Nate Nielsen