Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 12:06 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Mike Hearn">
>
> > Pros for a separate daemon:
> > - reliability/robustness
> > - works better with selinux
> > - that's how it's actually written, though it could be adapted easily
> > - can be activated by dbus-daemon on demand
> >
> > Cons for a separate daemon:
> > - extra startup time needed to create a new process
> > - Jeff mentioned "fewer moving parts better for administrators" though
> >   not being an administrator I don't really understand this ...
> > - "ps ax" is kind of messy when you have a ton of daemons, but then we
> >   already do have a ton of daemons so it's kind of a moot point.
>
> GNOME has a buttload of difficult to understand daemons. If one fails, or
> can't start, it is hard for an administrator to know what's going wrong or
> what it will affect.

it would be probably a good idea to have gnome-session be pluggable, so
that 3rd parties can write extensions for it for extra daemon-like
processes to be started. Thus, gnome-session would just have to load
those extensions and call a known entry point on them.

That, or the number of daemons will continue growing :)
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>