Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sunday 07 of November 2004 04:53, Christian Hammond wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 02:31:04AM +0100, Alejandro S?nchez Acosta wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll let Christian answer this, but I believe the intention was if the
> > > freedesktop.org platform solidifies and actually becomes a dependency
> > > of KDE/GNOME to go there. It was written and designed with this in
> > > mind.
> >
> > KDE already has a notification technology with knotify. It may be more
> > productive in the long run to make sure their input and needs are met,
> > and then establishing a common notification specification within
> > freedesktop.

 KNotify and this proposal are not quite the same, or rather, they are not at
the same level. The spec, as far as I understand it, is basically a simple
daemon capable of showing a passive popup. When an application wants to
notify about some events, it sends the daemon all the information, i.e.
everything depends on what the app decides.

 With KNotify however the app provides a list of all notifications it can do,
and when something happens, it only sends the KNotify daemon the type of the
notification, plus some details about it (the actual text for the
notification). The actual configuration is not done by the app, but by
KNotify (of course, the app can show a KNotify dialog with only its
notifications, so it looks like it's from the app, but there's also a central
place).If a user wants a dialog instead of a passive popup, wants a blinking
taskbar entry, or wants to quickly turn off all sounds notifications (or even
wants to implement a new feature nobody though of before), it's done using
KNotify.

 Which means that if this proposal becomes widely used, KNotify would be
rather on top of the proposal and use it as one kind of presentation (I think
I called it "backwards compatibility for future technologies" at one weak
moment). The knotify->this spec way would be probably implemented like
forwarding one of the KNotify types of presentations to the daemon, the this
spec->knotify way would be considered as one notification in KNotify (since
the spec cannot provide at least a list of all the notifications that'd be
needed for configuration using KNotify). Note that this is just my guessing
how it could be.

> We've been discussing this with them.

 Yes. If my memory serves me well, it was roughly like this:
 -> We have already KNotify, why don't you simply use that as basis and add if
something is needed [*]
 <-  Sorry, KNotify is too different, and we find it too complicated [**]
 -> How about at least this KNotify feature?
 <- Sorry, that'd require first changing the proposal to work like KNotify

[*] The proposal has some things which KNotify doesn't have, like the list of
possible actions, but I don't see why a problem adding them (hey, knotify is
pretty old technology).
[**] Which is nonsense, if you ask me, 'wc -l' on the daemon code gives <900
lines and <700 lines on the library class. It'd perhaps double after adding
actions and such things.

 (BTW, just in case it's still not obvious, I'm no big fan of the proposal.
Too bad I don't feel like finding some time for pushing KNotify simply as an
independent counter-proposal.)

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer