Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

Le mer 03/11/2004 à 00:44, Maciej Katafiasz a écrit :
> Dnia 02-11-2004, wto o godzinie 22:04 +0100, Xavier Bestel napisał:
> > > I see the point Alan is trying to make, but is this relevant for Gnome
> > > adoption?  I mean, on what machines is Gnome (especially 2.10)
> > > actually usable which are not equipped with a FPU?
> >
> > GStreamer code can't run without FPU.
>
> Not entirely true. While this is technically correct as in "you can't
> compile gst without floats", in practice that code isn't executed unless
> you actually process float data. Everything depends on what plugins you
> use. I know of at least one person using GStreamer regularly on VIA
> Epia, which isn't widely known for its exceptional FPU performance...

Yes, you're right, it depends on the plugin used. GST uses FP maths for
all time-based operations (framerates in video plugins, samplerates in
audio plugins). As the bulk of the encoding/decoding is often
integer-based, this doesn't matter much, but for some plugins like
resample there are lots of FP maths involved. And as the pipelines are
often autoplugged (i.e. the plugins are choosed automatically depending
on the input src and output sink capabilities) it's hard to tell which
plugins are gonna be used.

	Xav