Re: new module for gnome 2.10: goobox

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 08:43 +0100, Paolo Bacchilega wrote:
> Goobox is a CD player and ripper, it uses GStreamer to play and rip CDs,
> cdparanoia is the only required gstreamer plugin because it's used to
> play CDs, the plugins used to rip CDs are: vorbisenc, flacenc, lame,
> wavenc; however this plugins are optional and their availability is
> checked at runtime.  Another options dependency is libneon, if present
> it is used to search and download CD cover images on Internet.

Personally for obviously reasons I'm against goobox in G2.10, for two
reasons:

1) it's very new
2) Sound Juicer (specifically the mythical "version 2" as I've discussed
on my blog and the gnome-multimedia list) would be a better starting
point for a combined CD ripper/player.

(1) is obvious -- goobox is only a few months old now and I'm not
confident there will be enough testing of the required new features.

In goobox 0.1 there were several missing features I see as essential in
a CD ripper/player, but I'll grab goobox 0.3 and try that later today
before commenting.

I must admit to slacking at actually starting work on SJ2.  I've got
audio profiles working in CVS (on the "sj-profiles-branch" branch) but
I've not had the opportunity to test it to my own satisfaction.  Maybe I
should do a Linus and release 0.6-pre1...

The combination of the audio profiles branch plus the new Glade file
shown on my blog results in the majority of SJ2: the only missing piece
being CD playing (which should be quite easy).  Ideally I've love to
start a SJ2 branch in CVS today (which is possible) and see Paolo help
write the CD playing code.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./