Re: some thoughts on bookmarks (was Re: Better run dialog)

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 13:11, Colin JN Breame wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 10:10 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > There is this totally sweet app for MacOS X called launchbar
> > (http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/). Its basically a run dialog
> > without dialog that autocompletes on apps, document files, addressbook
> > entries, bookmarks and all sorts of things. Its extremely nice. I would
> > love the run dialog to be more like that.
> >

> How about a completely unified bookmark system that can store bookmarks
> for any protocol and application + provide a common UI?
>
> Applications like Nautilus and Epiphany could add bookmarks using a
> common dialog.  Then Epiphany could display (in the bookmarks menu) only
> bookmarks that are filtered by protocol (e.g. http and ftp).
>
> Any application requiring a bookmark system could then reuse it. e.g.
> ssh, bittorrent, rythmbox, etc.
>
> There could then be a common dialog for editing bookmarks for organising
> them into categories, allowing hetrogenous (sorry, doing my exams)
> protocols to be placed into the same category, etc.
>
> Don't know how the save/open dialog would deal with categories though.

I don't see why somethink would have to be on the bookmarks form in
order for the run dialog to autocomplete on. It should just
automatically e.g. autocomplete against all the contacts in
evo-data-server.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an otherworldly day-dreaming waffle chef in drag. She's a psychotic
foul-mouthed pearl diver from out of town. They fight crime!