Re: some thoughts on bookmarks (was Re: Better run dialog)

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 01:10, Frank Worsley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking about this some more and just want to share my
> thoughts in this email.
>
> Basically, I think it would be cool if we had an EggBookmark API, just
> like EggRecentItems that lets any application easily add bookmark
> functionality. There is really no reason to limit a generally useful
> concept like bookmarks to the file manager and web browser.
>
> I imagine that any application could create its own set of bookmarks
> along with a description of what the bookmarks represent. For example,
> GEdit might create bookmarks of "GEdit Documents". Every application
> that utilizes bookmarks could then integrate them into its UI. At the
> same time, the "Run" or "Go" dialog would be a central place to quickly
> access all of my bookmarks. Here are some mockups:
>
> http://frank.neatstep.com/stuff/gedit.png
> http://frank.neatstep.com/stuff/nautilus.png
> http://frank.neatstep.com/stuff/run-dialog-2.png
>
> I really like the way the Epiphany bookmark editor works, so I imagine a
> similiar one for this system. The "Edit Bookmarks" menu item in an
> application would simply launch a Gnome bookmark editor application
> along with a parameter specifying which subset of bookmarks should be
> edited.
>
> Right now I forsee files, folders, URIs, and applications as bookmarks.
> However, it would be cool if, for example, in Evolution you could
> bookmark a certain page in your address book or a recurring meeting in
> your calendar. I'm not sure how that would fit in with the other items
> mentioned above. I guess a meeting in the calendar could be bookmarked
> as a special URI scheme that Evolution handles (ie: calendar://).
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to throw these ideas out there. I think having
> bookmark functionality for any application with a central place to
> access all my bookmarks would be really great.

There is this totally sweet app for MacOS X called launchbar
(http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/). Its basically a run dialog
without dialog that autocompletes on apps, document files, addressbook
entries, bookmarks and all sorts of things. Its extremely nice. I would
love the run dialog to be more like that.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lonely small-town paramedic with a mysterious suitcase handcuffed to
his arm. She's an artistic extravagent vampire with the power to bend men's
minds. They fight crime!