Re: Some more thoughts on Java vs Mono debate

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 12:42, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 11:13 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > People who go complain that "Java/C# are too slow" and don't mind at all
> > when Python is proposed need to stop and think for a minute.
>
> You haven't read the leaked document that compared Sun's Java with
> Python, right? Sun's own engineers seem to think otherwise, even
> advising to lear with python how to do it right.

I have. In fairness to Sun, that comparison was done without the benefit
of JITs.

FYI, the benchmark results for uncompiled Python script (I.E. not Pyhton
bytecode) far exceeds compiled java's bytecode performance - enuf said.
Java without a high performance JIT has to be one of the worst
performing languages ever and would be pointless having in Gnome without
something like Sun's HotSpot or IBM's Java JIT (hint, hint free
donation?).

jamie.