Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 23:22, Rob Adams wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 18:01 -0500, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, code written in C# and compiled to the Mono runtime should run
> > equally fast as the C equivalent.  Note I said run, meaning that I don't
> > count:
>
> That's not quite true.  There is additional overhead in running things
> like gc and runtime checks that C doesn't do.  If you want pure
> performance, you're going to do better with C code.  The reasons for
> using java or C# or whatever have nothing to do with performance, but
> can rather be justified by saying that the performance is not hurt very
> much, or that the faster development times outweigh the runtime
> performance problems.
>
> In the real world, the performance impact is quite small.  But it is
> incorrect to say that they will run equally fast.

It gets more interesting when memory becomes an issue. Managed code
tends to consume large amounts of memory because the garbage collection
is usually a very low priority thread so as to not affect performance
too severely. However when memory runs low, the priority of the garbage
collection thread is usually increased to compensate - thats when
performance can take a big hit - you either end up in swap or garbage
collection consumes much more cpu. These memory issues have plagued
managed code in the past and contributed to the downfall of Java OS. I
would like to know how Mono compares in this respect.

jamie.