Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 17:28, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> El vie, 26-03-2004 a las 06:58, jamie escribió:
>

> > I'm 100% for Ryan's idea but there has to be an understanding that core
> > libs and core functionality must remain in C for portability - I dont
> > want to see unmanaged code being forced to use Corba or some other IPC
> > mechanism just to access essential libs in managed code.
>
> Accessing managed code libraries via IPC from unmanaged code is not
> inherently bad.  The problem with it is, as most of you already know, it
> can become "kind of" tricky to handle the complexity.  I think Miguel de
> Icaza was trying to tame that complexity when he built Bonobo.
>
> I'd rephrase:
>
>   I dont want to see unmanaged code being forced to use Corba or some
>   other IPC mechanism just to access essential libs in managed code.
>
> into:
>
>   I dont want to see unmanaged code being forced to use complicated
>   solutions just to access essential libs in managed code.
>
> which I think is what you originally meant.   Complicated in the sense
> of actually writing the glue code AND managing the different memory
> contracts between components.
>
> am I right?

Yes, spot on!

> You can logically see the conclusion of the reformulation of the
> sentence: if accessing managed libraries is as easy as accessing regular
> libraries, there wouldn't be any impediment to write core libs in
> managed code, which could dramatically speed up development.

In theory, yes. In practice thats unknown at present as we dont know the
trade off in terms of speed and efficiency. My main concern with Mono
taking over from C in that respect is what will it cost in terms of
extra memory requirements and what's the performance like. If you
remember the doomed Java OS and have seen the beta of Longhorn then I
hope you understand these concerns about performance/excessive memory
usage of managed code. I dont know how mono performs in these areas
(compared to Java/.NET) so I would like to see benchmarks once its at a
suitable stage.

jamie.