Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

El vie, 26-03-2004 a las 06:58, jamie escribió:

> I'm 100% for Ryan's idea but there has to be an understanding that core
> libs and core functionality must remain in C for portability - I dont
> want to see unmanaged code being forced to use Corba or some other IPC
> mechanism just to access essential libs in managed code.

Accessing managed code libraries via IPC from unmanaged code is not
inherently bad.  The problem with it is, as most of you already know, it
can become "kind of" tricky to handle the complexity.  I think Miguel de
Icaza was trying to tame that complexity when he built Bonobo.

I'd rephrase:

  I dont want to see unmanaged code being forced to use Corba or some
  other IPC mechanism just to access essential libs in managed code.

into:

  I dont want to see unmanaged code being forced to use complicated
  solutions just to access essential libs in managed code.

which I think is what you originally meant.   Complicated in the sense
of actually writing the glue code AND managing the different memory
contracts between components.

am I right?

You can logically see the conclusion of the reformulation of the
sentence: if accessing managed libraries is as easy as accessing regular
libraries, there wouldn't be any impediment to write core libs in
managed code, which could dramatically speed up development.

>  This is exactly
> what MS is doing with Longhorn to "persuade" all the developers to use
> .Net

That is true.  They are doing it out of greed.  Were we to do so, it
would be only on technical merit, thus anything coming out of our camp
would definitely be better.