Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

> No matter how cool our runtime, writing GNOME itself in a mix of 20
> different languages would be pretty insane from a maintainability
> standpoint. Though one statically-typed and one "scripting" language
> might be nice. I don't want to go trying to fix a bug and find out the
> relevant code is in Fortran or something.
>
> Havoc

Yes, having the GNOME core implemented in multiple languages is just
begging for the Sawfish problem all over again...  With GNOME 2.0 right
around the corner Sawfish had yet to be ported from Gtk+ 1.2 because it
was largely written in Scheme and the gtk+ bindings hadn't been ported
yet.  And the Scheme scared a lot of developers off, meaning GNOME 2.0
shipped with a choice of a Gtk+ 1.2 based or an "ignore Havoc's README
and use it anyway" window manager.  Fortunately, despite Havoc's
insistence to the contrary, Metacity rocked from the get-go :-)

--
Shahms King <shahms shahms com>