Re: [Fwd: GUADEC cancelled due to beer shortage]

Mark McLoughlin wrote:

I find the current rationales difficult to justify introducing another
level of complexity to user and system
admins, or is it just me :(

	You don't regard making simultaneous logins sharing the same home
directory relatively non-broken as being a big win?

I have heard a lot about when people can not log in more than once sharing the same home directory, but I have seen little evidence that gconf is to be blamed for all these.
Here at Sun, these are either have to do with:
- internally deployed version of evolution which delivers its own copy of gconfd. That
 certainly causes conflicts and problem with the default version.
- staroffice configuration in shared home directory problem
- profiling problem in mozilla
- occaionally bonobo problem because user's IP has been recycled
Abeit there are occasional crashes of key processes that leaves ~/.gconf in some
undefined state.

	You're going to try and tell me that this isn't one of the biggest
gripes you personally hear about GNOME every day? :-)

The biggest gripes I have heard is that about GNOME every other day are like: - I set up my GNOME 2.0 desktop with certain panel layout, when I login to JDS they are gone - I have my JDS running sharing home directory, login to Sunray which only have GNOME 2.0,
 I log back in to JDS, my panel no longer appear at the bottom.
 etc..

I think these little usability problems annoyed users more than ever. I like to see if the further
enhancement can address these problems.
Assume from 2.8 we can have backend xml store isolated, it doesn't interfere with pre-2.8. which is good. When 2.8 comes out, can the 2.8 continues to use the 2.8 version of xml store only, the anwser is not. The 2.8 and 2.8 next will have to share the same backend data store,
one problem this enhancement attempt to fix comes back again.
Unless we make further enhancement such that *each version* of gconf releases uses its
*own version* of the backend configuration data.
Can this be done, is this a good idea to explore this?

-Ghee

Cheers,
Mark.