Re: GUADEC cancelled due to beer shortage

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 06:14, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 18:58, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > Not to sound too dense, but does this also mean the files under
> > $(SYSCONFDIR)/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults will change as well?  The reason
> > I'm asking is that FreeBSD ports track installed files, and this will
> > create massive plist changes for us.
>
> 	Not usually. The system wide defaults and mandatory databases are
> usually readonly (see the readonly flag in /etc/gconf/2/path) and we
> don't attempt to coalesce the files in a readonly database.
>
> 	One time that we will coalesce files in the system wide databases is
> when installing schemas with --makefile-install-rule. For example,
> installing the schemas in libgnome will cause the following files to be
> created:
>
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/peripherals/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/sound/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/applications/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/accessibility/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/lockdown/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/typing_break/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/background/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/file-views/%gconf-tree.xml
>   schemas/desktop/gnome/interface/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/peripherals/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/file_views/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/sound/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/applications/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/accessibility/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/lockdown/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/typing_break/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/background/%gconf-tree.xml
>   desktop/gnome/interface/%gconf-tree.xml
>
> 	Rather than the bunch of %gconf.xml files that would have been created
> when installing using an older version of GConf.
>
> 	I don't really understand what you guys do or whether it will have any
> impact, but I suspect this should be fine.

This will affect us, as right now, no %gconf-tree.xml files are
created.  Therefore, we will have to go back through all of our ports
that use GConf, and change the plists once gconf-2.7.2 (or whatever the
release will be) comes up :-(.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke