Re: GUADEC cancelled due to beer shortage

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 18:58, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Not to sound too dense, but does this also mean the files under
> $(SYSCONFDIR)/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults will change as well?  The reason
> I'm asking is that FreeBSD ports track installed files, and this will
> create massive plist changes for us.

	Not usually. The system wide defaults and mandatory databases are
usually readonly (see the readonly flag in /etc/gconf/2/path) and we
don't attempt to coalesce the files in a readonly database.

	One time that we will coalesce files in the system wide databases is
when installing schemas with --makefile-install-rule. For example,
installing the schemas in libgnome will cause the following files to be
created:

  schemas/desktop/gnome/peripherals/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/sound/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/applications/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/accessibility/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/lockdown/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/typing_break/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/background/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/file-views/%gconf-tree.xml
  schemas/desktop/gnome/interface/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/peripherals/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/file_views/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/sound/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/applications/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/accessibility/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/lockdown/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/typing_break/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/thumbnailers/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/background/%gconf-tree.xml
  desktop/gnome/interface/%gconf-tree.xml

	Rather than the bunch of %gconf.xml files that would have been created
when installing using an older version of GConf.

	I don't really understand what you guys do or whether it will have any
impact, but I suspect this should be fine.

Cheers,
Mark.