Explicit copying into the clipboard without selecting

Hi all,

Docs I've found relating to clipboard selections (mostly the fd.o
‘spec’) do not seem to cover the case in which something is copied into
the clipboard without previously selecting it, like you can do by right
clicking on a url in gnome-terminal or evolution, and selecting the Copy
Link Address/Location menu item. Should this change both the CLIPBOARD
-and- the PRIMARY selections, or just the CLIPBOARD?

I do think the second option is better, since the PRIMARY is supposed to
be the last selected thing, and there might be some selected text at the
time such a menu item is hit, and it'd be weird to unselect it, but what
do I know.

Evo is now changing both selections (it did affect only the PRIMARY
selection not long ago iirc) and the terminal only changes the
CLIPBOARD. I have not looked for more examples, but context menus for
urls are likely to have such items.

It'd be nice to do this consistently throughout the desktop (and across
desktops, by adding this case to the fd.o spec, eventually...)

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <mariano gnome org>