Re: Explicit copying into the clipboard without selecting

Hey,

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 00:13, Mariano Suárez-Alvarez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Docs I've found relating to clipboard selections (mostly the fd.o
> ‘spec’) do not seem to cover the case in which something is copied into
> the clipboard without previously selecting it, like you can do by right
> clicking on a url in gnome-terminal or evolution, and selecting the Copy
> Link Address/Location menu item. Should this change both the CLIPBOARD
> -and- the PRIMARY selections, or just the CLIPBOARD?

	This was discussed only the other day on xdg list:

  http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xdg/2004-June/004108.html

	Only two people expressed an opinion there and that was that it set
both selections.

	Personally, that makes sense to me too. PRIMARY gets overwritten every
time you select something to copy it to CLIPBOARD, so its kind of like
volatile storage. I think setting CLIPBOARD without setting primary
would be likely to cause more confusion than actually providing benefit
to anyone.

	The clock applet's "Copy Date & Time" thing now sets both selections.

Cheers,
Mark.