Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 18:54 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

This should probably move to the utopia-list.  d-d-l people don't like
(offtopic) email.

> Question: I see a lot of talk about auto-mount, but what about unmount?
>
> FC2 auto-mounts if you click on the proper place on "Computer", but
> users have to explicitly tell to unmount.
>
> g-v-m should be aware of usb hot-unplugging, cd ejects, floppy ejects
> (this one is tryicky on most drives which have to be actively tested).
>
> That's one of the biggest complaints I hear :|

Well, this will take kernel work (and as a kernel guy, I'll say that the
chances of a complete solution from the kernel are slim).

But if the kernel adds it, we can add support to HAL, and g-v-m can
respond to it.  It is not a g-v-m issue.

> Another problem: sync
>
> usb drives have a tendency to allow unmounting even though not _all_
> data was copied into a flash memory, for instance.
>
> So you unplug a little too soon, and lots of data get lost.

We could put policy in g-v-m to mount removable devices sync, although I
don't think that works for FAT.

It also does not solve the problem that the kernel does not want you to
rip a live filesystem out from under it, dirty data pending writeback or
not.

	Robert Love