Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 17:30 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> I formally propose the addition of GNOME Volume Manager to the GNOME 2.8
> Desktop Release.
>
> GNOME Volume Manager is a simple state machine that acts as a policy
> engine on top of HAL.  It includes a control panel applet.  Said policy
> includes auto-mounting of any hot-plugged removable device, auto-
> mounting of media such as CD's and DVD's, auto play of {Blank,Data,
> Audio,Video} CD's, and auto importing of photos from camera.

Question: I see a lot of talk about auto-mount, but what about unmount?

FC2 auto-mounts if you click on the proper place on "Computer", but
users have to explicitly tell to unmount.

g-v-m should be aware of usb hot-unplugging, cd ejects, floppy ejects
(this one is tryicky on most drives which have to be actively tested).

That's one of the biggest complaints I hear :|

Another problem: sync

usb drives have a tendency to allow unmounting even though not _all_
data was copied into a flash memory, for instance.

So you unplug a little too soon, and lots of data get lost.

Hugs, Rui