Some ideas for redesign of the GNOME Menus

Since people would like to get rid of the distrobution specific menu and
all that. I thought that perhaps it's worth looking at the layout of the
entire GNOME menus.

Here are some quick thoughts (empty lines are trying to be separators):
GNOME
 |- Web Browser (%s)		eg. Epiphany/Galeon
 |- Email (%s)			eg. Evolution

 |- Recent Applications
 |   |-
 |   |-
 |   |
 |   |- More Applications	-> opens applications://
 |- Recent Documents
 |   |-
 |   |-
 |   |
 |   |- More Documents		-> opens home://
 |- GNOME Preferences		-> opens preferences://

 |- Browse			-> opens computer://
 |- More Actions
 |   |- Run Application...
 |   |- Take Screenshot

 |- Help

 |- Lock Screen
 |- Logout from GNOME

Applications			(this menu would be optional)
 |- Accessibility
 |- Accessories			(could this be renamed?)
 |- Games
 |- Graphics
 |- Internet
 |- Music/Video
 |- Office
 |- Programming

What do I like about this? Web browsing and email are at the top of the
dropdown (this entire menu should be turned upside down if are menus are
on the bottom). Recent applications and documents follow with obvious
ways to find more applications and documents. I don't know if we
currently have support for recent applications, but perhaps this could
be added to gnome-session. We also present the preferences in a single
window which is more consistant with the Windows Control Panel/MacOSX
System Prefs, and seems to be more sensible. Following on from that are
actions, the two common ones, Browse and Search are in the menu, all
other actions are in a submenu, we could add a way to register actions
such as "Speak" or "Connect to Server". Finally, help and Lock Screen/
Logout. These options should be as far away from the initial mouse click
as possible, to reduce likely hood of selecting them accidently. Only 11
items in the menu. Much more task orientated "these are things I'll want
to do in GNOME".

Then we have an applications menu. We could probably make it optional.
This would look much similar to the applications menu we have now, just
it would only feature applications. No preferences, no browsing etc.
This menu would simply be the applications menu we have now. Perhaps
rename a few things to better names.

Comments/ideas are welcome.
--d

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA