Re: [Utopia] Re: Next stop Utopia, full steam ahead?
- From: Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
- To: Joe Shaw <joeshaw novell com>
- Cc: Robert Love <rml ximian com>, David Zeuthen <david fubar dk>, Utopians <utopia-list gnome org>, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>, GNOME Desktop Hackers <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: [Utopia] Re: Next stop Utopia, full steam ahead?
- Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 12:04:30 +0100
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 17:22 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 23:12 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > If it only means creating and maintaining a 'stable' branch of HAL for
> > the duration of the GNOME 2.8 series, sure, no problem, I can commit to
> > that.
> I'm not so sure that an API/ABI guarantee even within a stable series is
> a good idea quite yet. For example, at this point I'm still not sure
> that "net.ethernet.80211" is right instead of "net.ethernet.wireless" or
> "net.wireless". Unfortunately we have a string API and with it are all
> the problems of a string API. It's not the libhal API I'm concerned
> about... that I think we can make relatively stable, it's the naming and
> existence of most of the properties.
As long as the libraries follow HAL, and that applications don't use HAL
directly (for example, you can use HAL in nautilus-cd-burner burning
library, but not directly), I don't see much of a problem with the
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Her artistic sense was exquisitely refined, like someone who can tell
butter from "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter."
] [Thread Prev