Re: [Utopia] Re: Next stop Utopia, full steam ahead?

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 17:22 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 23:12 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > If it only means creating and maintaining a 'stable' branch of HAL for
> > the duration of the GNOME 2.8 series, sure, no problem, I can commit to
> > that.
>
> I'm not so sure that an API/ABI guarantee even within a stable series is
> a good idea quite yet.  For example, at this point I'm still not sure
> that "net.ethernet.80211" is right instead of "net.ethernet.wireless" or
> "net.wireless".  Unfortunately we have a string API and with it are all
> the problems of a string API.  It's not the libhal API I'm concerned
> about... that I think we can make relatively stable, it's the naming and
> existence of most of the properties.

As long as the libraries follow HAL, and that applications don't use HAL
directly (for example, you can use HAL in nautilus-cd-burner burning
library, but not directly), I don't see much of a problem with the
string API.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Her artistic sense was exquisitely refined, like someone who can tell
butter from "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter."