Next stop Utopia, full steam ahead?

Hi all,

So, I'm interested to find out what the status of the Project Utopia stack
is in relation to GNOME 2.8:

  * Will any of the Utopia high-level components (such as volume-manager) be
    proposed for inclusion in 2.8?

  * Should GNOME Desktop or Platform modules depend on Utopia system or
    library components (such as hal, d-bus)?

  * Should/will any of the Utopia system or library components be propsed
    for inclusion in GNOME? (Desktop to start, Platform later.)

  * What do we have to consider in terms of portability, in the 2.8 time
    frame? (Will Utopia features just not appear? Should they be hard
    dependencies? Should we have fallbacks? etc.)

I don't want to go too far down the path of setting expectations and/or
feature goals, but it would be great to know where we might be headed early
on in the release - particularly as the Utopia stuff is firmly lodged
between the cheeks of the desktop and the bowels of the operating system. :)

Thanks,

- Jeff

    "Learning and doing is the true spirit of free software -- learning
   without doing gets you academic sterility, and doing without learning
    is all too often the way things are done in proprietary software." -
                                Raph Levien