Re: Vino: proposal for inclusion in GNOME 2.8

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 00:18, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 08:44 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Luis Villa">
> >
> > > I'll have to look at it some more. I have to admit I haven't had time to
> > > set it up myself yet, so I've been getting all my information about it
> > > from your blog and your two pages :)
> >
> > Sorry dude, but this thread exists only due to this uninformed noise. We've
> > been trying hard to discourage it on d-d-l -> what would your reaction be to
> > a 'random gimp' replying to a proposal without trying it first? Not entirely
> > savoury, I'm sure.
>
> Oh, fuck off, Jeff. I'm trying to follow as well as one can from the
> (thankfully very extensive) notes Mark has posted. If we limit the
> discussion to the people who have actually downloaded and installed the
> thing at this point, then we're damn well not letting it in to the
> platform, because the evidence so far is that damn few people have done
> that at all- which does not bode well for quality of testing, scope of
> testing, or level of interest. It has /three/ bugs filed against it.
> Ever. So either it is perfect code or I'm not the only one not using it.

	More self serving bollox. I don't know exactly how many people have
tried it, but I have heard of several people trying it without problems.
Sun ships it with JDS where its had a lot of testing and Matthew Garrett
has put it in Debian.

> I like Mark, but I'm guessing it isn't the first case.

	This self serving bollox, in particular, is really annoying.

> > (Raised mostly due to sheer gobsmacked surprise at having to justify it.)
>
> When the justification in the original email was 'perhaps it is useful',
> then yeah, more justification is needed, and I'm glad I stepped up and
> raised questions, since some of the justification has since been
> provided. It certainly has not come up any other way.

	I think you should look back and evaluate whether you could have gone
about getting further justification in a more productive manner.

Good Luck,
Mark.