Re: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 23:55, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> Andrew Sobala wrote:
>
> >Anyway, GNOME doesn't add modules based on trying to tick off marketing
> points.
>
> Maybe it should.
>
> >So far, that's worked pretty well,..
>
> Maybe with some marketing and strategy along the way could do EVEN better.
> Why write off the strategic implications of an under-featured Gnome release

Someone you've got to realise about our poor under-featured release is
that it's taken 6 months of work. The same as all the other releases.
Adding modules isn't the *only* thing we do between releases.

You did point out some of the features such as a spacial file manager,
and wrote them off as not being important enough. Gee, thanks.
Unfortunately, that is one big part of GNOME 2.6. Take it or leave it.

Others are proper internationalised keyboards, proper password
management, all the funky epiphany improvements, to name just a few.

> just because it was "good enough" in the past? Why not try to maximize the
> results?

Because it means shipping software that isn't ready.

> Personally, I would go with solution #2

Let's look at solution 2.

> -- Find 1-2 replacements to fill up the hole
>
> Good points: Might be able to pull it though, if we add 1-2 multimedia apps
> or something else.
> Bad points: If these replacements were good enough right now, they would
> already be part of 2.6.

I think we understand why we're not going to add random software to the
release.

One piece of software that isn't buggy is rhythmbox, but the maintainers
have already stated that they don't want to include it in GNOME 2.6.
That's out of our control.

--
Andrew Sobala <as583 cam ac uk>