Re: freedesktop.org platform - preparing for release 1

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 05:57, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

> Moving intltool to freedesktop CVS should be straightforward -- we just
> need to do it.  The biggest concern I personally have with moving
> packages from GNOME-CVS is that it's a bigger pain for translators on
> that server.

I did not realise that there were 'translators on that server'.

In languages that are new to information technology (which is most of
them) there are huge chances to fork the language/strings whatever that
the end user will will struggle with.

I wish the translators on fd.o take up the task of coherent translations
and many related issues.

Already we successful teams like the cy and sr crew.

We also have miserable failures like myself (ta) -- KDE is almost 100%
translated as of last week, the first non-Latin lang with such a
statistics...{there are reasons :)

So an  fd.o based 'translations and realted issue coordination' will be
very useful.
(also technical howtos/guides on how to use msgcat effectively and build
up and using po compendia from the blood and sweat of others ;) are good
things to be hosted on fd.o imho)

Regards,

Ramanan