Re: new module: gnome-volume-manager

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 14:48, Rob Adams wrote:
> So if I understand this correctly, there's no reason why HAL and
> therefore gnome-volume-manager couldn't be made to work on other
> platforms (*BSD, Solaris, etc.)?  So gnome-volume-manager could
> potentially be a candidate for desktop release in the 2.8 time frame?

Correct, you just need to port the under-layers of HAL.  The HAL project
has more information on what needs to be done,
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/hal

Other systems may not support the level of automation that Linux 2.6 +
udev offer, however, which would make the user experience worse.  Kind
of like how GNOME without fam support tends to be less useful, and how
some systems require that fam use polling vs kernel notifications.

(note: I could be wrong on all the above, I'm only a user and not a
developer for the relevant projects.)
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.