Re: New external dependecy request (ICU)

Hello,

> > > libICU used Common XML Locale Repository as far as I can tell, and
> > > Common XML Locale Repository is supported by Sun (for OpenOffice for
> > > instance), IBM (for libICU for C and Java), by Red Hat. The Mono project
> > > is also using libicu so maybe you could say that Novell is supporting it
> > > indirectly? Anyway, it seems like at least the companies behind GNOME
> > > support libicu and its use.
> >
> > In Mono we are planning on replacing the dependency on LibICU, as it is
> > a huge library to link against, a big dependency for the time being, and
> > it is not easy to partition.
> >
> > We are currently moving to produce our own tables from the ICU data
> > though, so it would only be a maintainer dependency, not a deployment
> > dependency for us.
>
> Will it had a C library or something used from C without the need to
> read the .xml data directly?
>
> Could we share it without depending on C#?

In our particular case we are going to pull the data out of ICU with
the C API and generate C# source code, that we will turn into loadable
modules.

So am afraid it is not something you can reuse.

I was just pointing out that this is a problem for Mono too.  It is not
easy to split up libICU, nor to extract the locales that you need.