Re: Proposed: Evolution (and associated libs)

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 06:46, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Evolution
> ---------
>
> Although the inclusion of Evolution itself may be somewhat controversial, I
> don't think there's much controversy over the inclusion of data-server and
> the other modules (although now we have THREE html renderers in the Desktop
> release, which is getting silly). Evo is fairly unstable right now, and is
> obviously undergoing a lot of changes - will it be ready in time? The i18n
> team has raised some issues about the number of strings and lack of
> translator attention so far - will this significantly impact supported langs
> for 2.6? Would it make sense to get the infrastructure into the Desktop, see
> Evolution's successful release "when it's ready", and come back to it for
> inclusion in 2.8? Last but not least, what about all the controversy about
> GNOME 'choosing' a mailer (and groupware suite)? Would it make sense to have
> the application outside the Desktop permanently? (My personal view on these
> issues is that Evo should be in the Desktop, and we should focus on deep
> integration through it and e-d-s and so on, but I know various people have
> strongly differing views.)
>
> Modules involved: evolution, evolution-data-server, gal, gtkhtml, libsoup

I think evo ultimately belongs in the desktop - "Sending E-mail" is a
killer app for lots of people. Like, everyone.

I'm not confident it's ready yet, though; my personal opinion would be
to put e-d-s in the desktop this time round and maybe evo itself for
2.8. I'm not very confident about including a module that's been so
radically changed from 1.4 in GNOME 2.6.

The translators have also voiced "concerns," to put it mildly.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

The opinions here are my own, and aren't necessarily representative of
the foundation or release team.