Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 06:53, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Rhythmbox
> ---------
>
> RB has definitely come of age, but I think that it may be more appropriate
> for a super-pimped-up GNOME Multimedia release, along with some of the cool
> things coming out of the GStreamer project. A simple sound and video player
> such as Totem would make sense for the Desktop release. A full-blown music
> management program might be better off elsewhere, but there are arguments to
> say that it is immediately relevant to desktop users generally nowadays. I'm
> leaning towards a negative on Desktop inclusion, mostly because I think RB
> will look better elsewhere. :-)

Music management isn't wanted for the "corporate desktop", as far as I
am aware. But it's a killer app for everyone else. The multimedia
capabilities of both OS X and Windows have taken off recently by
including a media player that can manage the media as well as just play
it; this is what rhythmbox is, and as far as I know music management
isn't planned for totem.

The stuff that rhythmbox does is something GNOME should definitely do
out of the box. Speaking personally, my computer probably spends more
time playing music than anything else :)

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

The opinions here are my own, and aren't necessarily representative of
the foundation or release team.