Re: Proposed: gnome-network

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 17:10, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 08:02, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 01:49, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > gnome-network
> > > -------------
> > >
> > > Lots of cool stuff in here, but is it ready to go? Perhaps Desktop Sharing,
> > > Remote Desktop Client and Network Information will be, though some UI Review
> > > action would certainly help them out. The Personal Web Server and Remote
> > > Shell Client might need further discussion as to what we want to get out of
> > > them. I think this is totally hot stuff, all in all, but some parts might
> > > need a bit more time before hitting the Desktop release. Any portability
> > > concerns?
> >
> > I've submitted a bug with a lot of FreeBSD patches, but it looks like
> > the gnome-network guys will be converting over to libgnetwork, so my
> > patches might need a bit of touch up.  Overall [FreeBSD] portability is
> > very doable, and I'm very excited about this module.
> >
> right, the intention is to use libgnetwork, so I guess your patches
> could probably better sent to libgnetwork.

I've already sent the patches to libgnetwork.  As soon as gnome-network
switches over to that, most of what I've done should be moot.  However,
some of the other command-based stuff (i.e. traceroute, ping, some of
the pipe stuff, etc.) is probably still valid within gnome-network
itself.

> > > Interesting dependencies: cherokee, libvncserver and libzvt (which is only
> > > used by gnome-ppp, which is not built by default, and there's a continuing
> > > discussion as to whether this functionality belongs here or in g-s-t).
> > >

> > > Further discussion goes HERE! :-)
> >
> > It seems to me it may still need (or is scheduled to receive) a severe
> > internal make-over, and may not be ready in time for 2.6.  This is just
> > my feeling based on feedback to my portability bug.
> >
> hmm, what internal make-over are you talking about? The intention is to
> have gnome-network (or part of) for GNOME 2.6, so, yes, it should be
> ready.

I was referring to the libgnetwork change.

Joe