Re: Use of American/British English (was Re: request for string addition)

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 00:09, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Bastien Nocera">
>
> > The point I was trying to make was that it didn't really matter if
> > translations were in a different flavour of English as long as the whole
> > program uses that same flavour.
>
> > I'd also like to note that the use of British English [1] should not (and
> > I don't think does) hamper the ability of the i18n team to translate into
> > different languages.
>
> Consider translation memory tools. If I wrote my software assuming Aussie
> English, you wrote yours for British English, and Jody wrote his using
> Canadian/Quebecian Frenglish, anyone who used translation memory tools would
> very unhappy with us all.

That would be enough to make me understand what the problem is about.

I could then argue that it shouldn't be a lot of work to add those few
differing words to the list, but I won't ;)

Is it even worth changing existing software to use en_US?

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
The dandelion swayed in the gentle breeze like an oscillating electric
fan set on medium.