Re: request for string addition

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 20:41 +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
<snip>
> ¹ Perhaps Nautilus should be spelt uppercase in the message.
> ² I think "behavior" should be spelled without the "u" with American
> English spelling, and Merriam-Webster seems to support that theory
> (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=behavior). And
> source messages should use American English spellings according to the
> GNU/GNOME standards.

Urgh.

Allow me to reply to the footnotes (once in a while, it's interesting).

There's nothing in the GNU/GNOME standards (if such a thing exists)
saying which language should be used as the base ("C") language for
programs. While it's commonly accepted that it should be in English, so
that translators can work from it, there is nothing saying which flavour
of the English language should be used.

I think that the help message above should be in American English,
because the rest of the program is in American English (use of "Trash",
etc.). The programs I write are all in British English as the "C"
language, and it's going to change over my dead body.

Quoting an American English dictionary for authoritive spelling is like
looking for a plot in a Richard Curtis rom-com: you know what it's going
to look like so why bother?
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=6780&dict=CALD

What I mean is, you're showing the right answer, but the thinking that
gets to the answer is the wrong one.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
What does a squirrel do in the summer? It buries nuts. Why? Cos then in
winter time he's got something to eat and he won't die. So, collecting
nuts in the summer is worthwhile work. Every task you do at work think,
would a squirrel do that? Think squirrels. Think nuts.