Re: filename translation implementation - how to decide

On Thu, 2004-16-12 at 11:58 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 18:44 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:

> > > IMHO, implementation is the best argument one can make.
> > >
> > > I've put many arguments out, I stated what I prefer of your options
> > > and why (in my attempt to influence others to express their opinions,
> > > of course), but I agree each has it's pros and cons (as does any
> > > other solution presented).
> > >
> > > I'm for any solution you have actually implemented provided it solves
> > > the problem we're trying to solve: translated folder names in GUI.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Danilo
> >
> > I agree with Danilo. I have a right to express my opinion civilly (don't
> > I?), but when it comes right down to it, its the maintainer's (or
> > erstwhile programmer's) prerogative to call the shots with his own code.
> >
> > If your solution goes through (which it seems it has), then all I ask is
> > that the special folders go back to ~/.gnome2 so we're at least not
> > polluting the user's $HOME with foreign junk.
>
> My solution has not gone through, only the infrastructure to support it
> if we want. I'm currently talking to some KDE people about their views
> on this, and maybe we can make a decision eventually.
>
> However, putting the folders that we want nicely translated to make them
> easy to find and understand in a completely hidden, hard to find
> location doesn't seem like a constructive proposal.

At the risk of wandering in more circles, what I meant was that if its
not properly translated in the shell UI, they why should it clutter the
shell UI with foreign junk?

Murray pointed out that ~/.gnome2 isn't cross desktop, so how about
~/.freedesktop.org/desktop (et al.)?

I thought it was your position that the only thing needed for shells was
a firm location for shell programmers? If so, then whats so
nonconstructive about it?

I'm trying not to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I'm at
least understood. People who want less noise here so look a little at
their *own* communications skills too.

I'm sorry you find my comments so completely useless. I'm not writing
because I like the sound of my own voice.

Cheers,
Ryan