Re: filename translation implementation - how to decide

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 18:44 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-15-12 at 16:58 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> > Today at 16:21, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > > I fear we will be unable to make a decision on this, and we'll let it
> > > slide yet another release. I made the implementation to verify that the
> > > solution worked and to have something that can go in quickly if we get
> > > to a decision.
> >
> > IMHO, implementation is the best argument one can make.
> >
> > I've put many arguments out, I stated what I prefer of your options
> > and why (in my attempt to influence others to express their opinions,
> > of course), but I agree each has it's pros and cons (as does any
> > other solution presented).
> >
> > I'm for any solution you have actually implemented provided it solves
> > the problem we're trying to solve: translated folder names in GUI.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Danilo
>
> I agree with Danilo. I have a right to express my opinion civilly (don't
> I?), but when it comes right down to it, its the maintainer's (or
> erstwhile programmer's) prerogative to call the shots with his own code.
>
> If your solution goes through (which it seems it has), then all I ask is
> that the special folders go back to ~/.gnome2 so we're at least not
> polluting the user's $HOME with foreign junk.

My solution has not gone through, only the infrastructure to support it
if we want. I'm currently talking to some KDE people about their views
on this, and maybe we can make a decision eventually.

However, putting the folders that we want nicely translated to make them
easy to find and understand in a completely hidden, hard to find
location doesn't seem like a constructive proposal.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an ungodly hunchbacked paranormal investigator on the edge. She's a
brilliant antique-collecting barmaid with a knack for trouble. They fight
crime!