Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On 10/12/04 14:05, Damon Chaplin wrote:

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 11:36, James Henstridge wrote:

Like the gconf solution, it isn't clear what a script should do if the ~/.folders/XXXX symlink or gconf key is missing though.

We could provide a small utility, e.g.

gnome-create-standard-folder "Templates"

That would use the same API that we would provide for apps.
It could even return the directory pathname, making scripts fairly
painless. We could also provide a

gnome-get-standard-folder "Templates"

that returns the directory pathname or nothing if it doesn't exist.
If the script is going to need to use one of these programs if the symlink is missing, then is it ever correct for them to blindly use the ~/.folders/XXXX directories? If not, then that kills off some of the benefits of the symlink approach.

In that case, it sounds like we are in the same situation as Windows is: applications must use some special means of looking up the standard directory names, which some fraction of third party developers won't do, which will result in multiple special folders in the user's home directory in different languages.

James.

--
Email: james jamesh id au
WWW:   http://www.jamesh.id.au/