Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 13:05 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 01:41, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > Sit down and ask your Mum or a secretary some time if they understand the
> > Windows file sharing model (in layman's terms), and then ask if they know
> > which folders they've shared alrady. Bonus points if you show them how to
> > share things one week, and ask them what's shared the next week.
>
> Right... I'm inclined to agree with Brian that sharing "in-place" is
> more natural at the time you want to share stuff, but I think it would
> really need to be accompanied by some sort of vfolder view of
> everything you were currently sharing.  If that view could work as a
> drop target as well, you've got the best of both worlds-- except when
> you want to share something from your terminal, of course :)

Definitely agree - I think I forget to say that in my original mail on
the topic, although I had it in mind.

For "shell sharing," I don't see why one couldn't ship a simple command
line utility to mark files/folders as shared or unshared.  It would
certainly be useful for things like Nautilus scripts and so on as well.

> Cheeri,
> Calum.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.