Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 15:39 +1000, Kai Willadsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 12:15 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> > Brian Skahan wrote:
> > >What about the vfolder shared:/// or public:/// idea, that way you
> > >could share multiple folders and still have a central place to check
> > >and say "oops, need to hide that one now".  It gets away from
> > >translatable on-disk names too.
> > >

> > We've been trying to get away from creating new random VFS methods for
> > things when they aren't needed.
>
> > Also, there is already a quick way to check what you are sharing: go to
> > the Network window and double click on "username's public files" (for
> > epittance, it looks like it would be "username's shares").
>
> Why can't this be the primary interface? You open up your 'shared files'
> location through either the Computer or Network locations (whichever
> makes more sense), and drop files & folders into it. The on-disk
> location (if there is one) is irrelevant.

Making it the primary interface feels a little wrong.  There is no
actual "shared files" location.  It isn't a place you can actually store
files.  Files there don't really actually exist.  I wouldn't want users
trying to store their files there.  The interface would be very useful
to allow users to quickly see what is shared, but I think that the main
interface for sharing/unsharing items should be at the items real
location itself.  Be that in a classic folder hierarchy or tomorrow's
meta-data-search filesystems.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.