Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 10:44, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 15:18 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Mer, 2004-12-01 at 12:19, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > Also, folder i18n discussion has centred around consistent on-disk names and
> > > translations in the interface, *not* configurable on-disk locations.
> >

> > Maybe but since nobody has answered the problems revolving around
> > shells, KDE and other application consistency
> >
> > 	"I put it in Shared and openoffice found it elsewhere"
> >
> > you can't whitewash it away either.
> >

> Okay but are symbolic links ruled out?
>
> IE suppose we had them as hidden folders:
> Desktop as ~/.Desktop
> Documents as ~/.Documents
> Shared as ~/.Shared
>
> Then all Gnome has to do is create the internationlised links on a
> user's first ever log in (or when they change locale in which case we
> rename the links).
>
> It would work like that but I suspect some will argue against using
> links.

The one thing that scares me about this is the possibility of filling up
the hard drive with files a user can't see.  I decide I hate everything
I've been writing and delete my ~/Documents folder, which is actually a
symlink to ~/.Documents, though I don't know that.  The link is deleted,
but the dot directory is still there, eating up drive space with files I
thought I'd deleted.

Of course, it's not an insurmountable problem.  Some special-casing of
deletion in Nautilus would do the trick.  But it's something we should
keep in mind if we go this route.

--
Shaun