Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

<quote who="Alan Cox">

> On Mer, 2004-12-01 at 02:27, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Yes, but that's a separate issue from the directory translation stuff
> > (which is what we were covering above). I agree with you to a certain
> > extent about making the particular directory reconfigurable.
>
> I don't actually think it is a difference. If you have one you have the
> other. The only thing i18n does is change the default when you first get
> prompted for it. Configurability (even trivial one directory only)
> implicitly solves the i18n problem for free.

No, the i18n proposal revolves around consistent on-disk names (such as
"~/Desktop") and translation in the user interface. Sure, letting the user
configure all of their 'special' directories gives you i18n "for free", but
you lose the consistent on-disk names.

These really are two separate issues, which we shouldn't conflate.

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu in Mataró, Spain: December 5th-18th      http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

         "It's my head, Schwartz - it's my head!" - John Malkovich