Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

<quote who="Alan Cox">

> On Mer, 2004-12-01 at 01:17, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > It would be much harder for non-GNOME apps to deal with inconsistent
> > on-disk locations (user A might have his files in ~/Desktop, user B
> > might have her files in ~/[UTF-8-GUNK]).
>
> Has it not occurred to you that users will want to do this anyway because
> they want to share different things at different times and changing the
> path name is an intuitive way to do it ?

Yes, but that's a separate issue from the directory translation stuff (which
is what we were covering above). I agree with you to a certain extent about
making the particular directory reconfigurable.

> The only app I can see that might want to know is nautilus so it can put a
> nice icon on your personal sharing area (and I don't see it cares about
> other users here)

Nautilus could do this even if the g-u-s directory was configurable.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

   "Stupidity is used to run 98% of the world's corporations, which tops
              UNIX server usage by quite a bit." - George Lebl